|HHCC Accession No. 2003.050||HHCC Classification Code: 4.02-12|
An early refrigeration machine, by Frigidaire designed and built for the new chlorinated hydrocarbon refrigerant of the times, ‘F12’. A significant, transitional and transformational piece technology, moving from the use of noxious to non-noxious refrigerants, it would serve to vastly increase the market for refrigeration machines and, in turn, their impact on Canadian society and culture. It also serves as a vehicle for telling the stories of the unintended environmental consequences of the move, Frigidaire, circa 1937
4.02 Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Condensing Units - Commercial
Frigidaire Corporation, Dayton, Ohio
31x 17x 19’h
65 lbs [less motor and compressor]
Education, and research quality demonstrating the form and structure of early refrigeration machinery designed for F12 refrigerant and to act as a foil for tell the stories of environmental degradation that would follow the wide spread use of the refrigerant, less motor and compressor.
From York County (York Region) Ontario, once a rich agricultural hinterlands, attracting early settlement in the last years of the 18th century. Located on the north slopes of the Oak Ridges Moraine, within 20 miles of Toronto, the County would also attract early ex-urban development, to be come a wealthy market place for the emerging household and consumer technologies of the early and mid 20th century.
This artifact was discovered in the 1950’s in the used stock of T. H. Oliver, Refrigeration and Electric Sales and Service, Aurora, Ontario, an early worker in the field of agricultural, industrial and consumer technology.
Type and Design:
Massive steel construction by Frigidaire would follow the construction pattern established for sulphur dioxide.
Control and Regulation:
Targeted Market Segment:
G. Leslie Oliver, The T. H. Oliver HVACR Collection
HHCC Storage Location:
Frigidaire Manual, SER405, products mfd prior to 1937, P7 and 19, Chpt. 1-A